Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sun, wind, and cold metal

I spent Monday through Thursday on a work trip to Pennsylvania. That made it a weird week for our family, but I was thankful to have Friday at home to help us get back into our normal routines. Levi and I did our usual Friday morning stuff - went to Bethesda for coffee and to visit my grandma, then to the library and then back home. Routine is good.
We ventured outside in the afternoon, even though the wind was blowing pretty hard. We bundled up in our snow gear and just walked around for a while. We meant to play in the shed, sheltered from the wind, but we got distracted by a meowing kitten. After returning the kitten back to a more suitable spot we realized there were amazing icicles hanging from the roof of our house. 
 We used to have five kittens in the hay loft. But for better or worse we decided to bring them down to our garage because they were getting pretty big and who wants to go up to the hay loft twice a day all winter anyway? Well, the kittens hid under our cars and now we just have one left. Apparently, I killed three of them on my way to town on Friday morning. That made me feel reeeaaaalllll good.  Sheesh. We'll see how long it lasts...
 Our farm, like most any farm, has lots of scrap metal hanging around. Some of it is old machinery, some is simply random metal parts saved for a second use or simply left on a pile for lack of knowing anything else to do with it.  Now we're getting rid of the piles.
 A big truck came out from Wichita on Friday afternoon,
 and left this enormous blue bin in the yard. And now we've got our hands, and loader buckets, full trying to fill it up.
You see, from my kitchen window I get a nice view of the metal waste land, the blue bin and the chicken barn. Yep, I get to keep up on the progress, or lack thereof, while I wash dishes.
 My hopes are high for a serious improvement in the view from my current kitchen window.


1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you - for loving your animals! Grammy

    ReplyDelete