Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls, check!

I've got this mental check list of life skills to learn, or at least to stop fearing. So far, I've tackled gardening, canning garden produce and now I'm in the midst of learning to bake with yeast. I learned about baking with yeast as a kid in 4-H and then again in high school when my grandma gave a couple baking lessons to my cousin and I. But high school was a long time ago. Since then, I let yeast become this complicated and intimidating thing that was too scary to actually use. 
So on Snow Day number 3 I decided it was time to bake. And then I allowed a crazy idea to enter my brain - cinnamon rolls. Most of my motivation to tackle yeast has been my desire to bake my own cinnamon rolls. 
And thanks to the Buns and Platz recipe from the "Mennonite Girls Can Cook" cookbook, I did it!
They're not perfect looking, but they taste good. Levi was so busy playing that he missed out on helping me roll the dough up. So he was sure to be paying attention when it came time to frost them!
He worked so hard to get the thick frosting on each roll.

He did a mighty fine job, too!
Next time I'll make my grandma's recipe. Her recipe assumes that the person making the dough is familiar with the process. Thankfully, the recipe I used this first time around did not do that and gave a nice step-by-step process with photos for me to follow.
Cinnamon rolls, check!


3 comments:

  1. They look so yummy!! And the best part is, yeast is yeast, so if you've done it once you can do it again. Grandma's recipe will turn out great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Grandma's sticky rolls are so easy-and I have a hard time with yeast, too! I don't like making frosting so that's the recipe I always use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See? Yeast isn't tricky at all! They look great!

    ReplyDelete