Monday, February 4, 2013

Food

Food, what a boring title for a blog post. But, I'm writing this late on Sunday night and that's what all the pictures in this post are of - food.  No points for creativity for me, oh well.
Recently, Benjamin bought a five pound bag of gummy bears. We have lots of gummy bears in our house. 
 Lately, I've challenged myself to bake with yeast. I'm guessing that prior to two weeks ago I hadn't used yeast for at least fifteen years. Pathetic, I know. But in that time I became fearful of yeast. Unsure of what to do with it, uneasy about how it all worked. So, two weeks ago I baked oatmeal bread and while it tasted just fine it was dense. Really dense. I mixed too much flour in and it didn't rise very well. So on Saturday I tried the same recipe again with much better results. I was much more careful about the flour and while these loaves of bread are not perfect (not by a long shot) they are a huge improvement. They're pretty much the size of a loaf of bread - my first attempt was half as tall as these - and they are much less dense.  Ahhh....the sense of accomplishment and the empowerment to keep trying.
 And then Sunday we got together with friends for a Superbowl party and I snapped a few shots of the delicious spread of food we laid out. Shredded beef sandwiches, chips, fruit, veggies,
 pretzel bites with dipping sauces,
 and tons of sweets too.  It was awesome eating and fun visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment