Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mutton Busting

Last week at the Marion County Fair, Noah surprised knocked-my-socks-off when he decided he wanted to participate in the Mutton Busting competition during the rodeo.  When we left home that evening, it hadn't even been a topic of conversation, wasn't even thought of by any of us.  So, I left my camera at home figuring I'd taken enough rodeo pictures and with it being so hot why should I lug my big ole camera around anyway.  Not to mention, Ben was traveling home from a work meeting out-of-state!
Well, fast forward an hour or so and I started to realize that the other kids we were with were talking about riding sheep in the rodeo, but they were sad that they were too old.  Well, Noah wasn't too old......so they asked him if he wanted to and he said, "Yes!"  Holy moly.
We got to the rodeo and the announcer said to go behind his stand to register for the Mutton Busting, so Noah and I did.  I am not comfortable around horses and walking around behind the announcer's stand at a rodeo really pushes my comfort zone. I signed Noah up and paid the $10 entry fee and he was set!  His friend Kacen was also riding, and he's a professional Mutton Buster so he had all the appropriate gear to protect himself from getting hurt if the sheep stepped on him.  Noah was going to borrow Kacen's helmet and his protective vest - and they were going to hang out under the announcer's stand (right in the thick of the action) until it was time for their event.  Ok.... I left them feeling like I wasn't really supposed to leave Noah there but also knowing that Kacen (at age 7) knew more about what was going on than I did.  Plus, Kacen's dad Kirby was around and said he'd keep an eye on the boys.
Before I knew it, it was Noah's turn to ride.  The announcer did a great job of making each cowboy feel important and I know Noah was listening to the way he talked because I've heard him talk that way when he and Levi do pretend rodeo at home.  My stomach was in knots while I waited for Noah.  I wasn't worried he'd get hurt. I was worried that he was nervous and unsure and that he'd hate it and be scared.  But I was wrong.  He talks about it like it was no big deal.  He says it hurt his stomach when he landed on the ground but that it was awesome. He didn't last long on the sheep - it gave a pretty big jerk when the gate opened - but Noah wants to do it at every rodeo he can from now on.  We'll have to see about that.  For now, he and Levi can pretend at home in the living room.

2 comments:

  1. Was Noah actually on that sheep? Man, I missed it! But what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he was! It just didn't last too long.

      Delete