Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chicago: Day 5

Sunday was our last day in Chicago.  Our train wasn't scheduled to depart Chicago until 3pm so we had a good portion of the day to hang out with the family.  Andy took us to a restaurant in his neighborhood called Longman & Eagle.  We had to wait a little while for a table because it was clearly a popular brunch spot for folks in Logan Square.



 For better or worse, Levi had a rubber band that he kept busy with...
 The atmosphere inside was great.  It felt Western, but with a modern edge to it.  I really liked it.
 The light fixture was green and the ceiling was covered in scrap wood.  It had a ton of character with all sorts of scraps just hammered into place and layered on top of each other.
 And the food knocked our socks off!  The boys got normal stuff like waffles, eggs and sausage.  The rest of us ordered off their actual brunch menu and it was gooooood.
 I don't remember what my dish was called but I felt like I went out on a limb when I ordered it, but boy was it worth it.  The components I remember were pulled pork with some kind of sweet maple flavor to it, collard greens, cheesy grits, with a sauce and an egg on top.  I know that doesn't make it sound good but it was.  The server explained it being breakfast, lunch and dinner all in one meal and he was right!  It was just the right amount of sweet and savory and it filled me up so fast I could only eat half of it!
 On the way back to Andy's we strolled through the Logan Square Farmers Market.  I LOVE Farmers Markets, mostly for the eye candy.  The prices all seemed pretty steep to me, but it was still fun just to look.


 The last picture I snapped on the trip was of Otto and Andy hanging out on the couch while the rest of us packed up all of our stuff.
It was a great trip and it's always a good time when the Schrag's get together.  We missed Sara and Josh but look forward to seeing them in November.  Thanks for letting us barge into your space Otto and thanks for hosting us Andy!
The train ride home went pretty well.  There were some seriously strange people around us on the train and boy scouts that kept walking through our car, but for the most part it was an enjoyable trip home.  The boys slept for a good chunk of it and we arrived at our house at 3:30am on Monday morning.  Thank the good Lord that we all fell asleep when we got home for a solid 5 hours - without that Monday would have felt impossible.
That's it - the Schrag family vacation for the summer of 2012 is all wrapped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment