Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Harvest Time

 It's go time!  The wheat is ready and doesn't seem to care one bit that it's still May and nobody can remember ever cutting wheat in May.  The wheat has a mind of its own this year.
 The boys are having fun with harvest and I'm doing my best to keep up with their energy and desire to be on one machine or another.  I simply cannot let my imagination work on how dangerous harvest is.

 Noah's learned one way to be helpful when the guys unload trucks at the farm.  He's learned how to turn the 4030 on - which takes two hands because it's so old and turns hard.
 Then he waits....because of his excitement to help he always starts the tractor before the truck and auger are ready.
 He waits for the auger bottom (I'm sure it has a more official name than that!) to be wheeled into position....
 Then he turns the PTO on (so the auger starts) with the yellow lever....
 then uses the red lever to speed up the throttle which makes the PTO go faster.
 After one last final adjustment on the speed of the throttle, his job is done - until the truck is empty.  Then he shuts it all off and PROUDLY gets off the tractor.
Also, I don't know if my description of what those levers do is accurate....but it's something like that.  As usual, Noah could tell you in accurate detail and he's not here at the moment to explain it to me.

1 comment: