Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Wheat Harvest

We're four days into wheat harvest 2013. 
Besides for feeding my three farmers, I don't have a job at harvest. I don't drive a truck, tractor or combine - nor do I really want to. Although I would if I had adequate time to practice ahead of time. Those big pieces of equipment scare me with their power and my lack of knowledge about them. But on Friday, I got to be helpful! I drove a pick-up from the field to the farm, filled a big tank full of fuel and went back to the field so the combine could fill up. That kind of job is right up my alley.

The boys can't get enough of the harvest action. They are hard to keep track of - riding in this truck, then that one, then the tractor, then the combine, repeat in any random order.


I took several meals out to the field over the weekend. Friday night Noah saw Ben, Levi and I in the tractor (Ben was driving grain cart) and came over from the combine, opened the door and said, "Family time!"  It was so funny. All four of us squished into the cab, chowing down. Saturday I made Southwest Breakfast Stromboli and they were awesome! Perfect for taking to the field and a nice change of pace, too.
This is our first harvest with this combine and so far so good. I rode along with dad for a while on Saturday and I nearly jumped every time the machine beeped. But, dad knew what each beep meant - thank goodness. I guess that's why he's the farmer and I'm not.
Our faithful stripper header continues to work its magic up and down each field, acre after acre. Shiny little teeth that move as a blur when it's turned on.
There are days of harvest and bean planting ahead of us. I maintain that harvest is one of the most exciting and terrifying times of year for this farmer's daughter, wife and mother. Prayers for safety keep going up and I won't fully exhale until it's complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment