Thursday, October 4, 2012

A day off

Wednesday morning was glorious. Crisp, cool and calm. 
 Light seems different in fall.  I'm not sure why, but it seems warmer.
 That's Fancy - our craziest kitten.
 For the past week, the farmers have been busy sowing wheat. I took the day off on Wednesday so Levi and I helped get the air seeder filled with wheat and fertilizer. Can you find Levi?



 The oldest truck on the farm has a lever underneath the truck bed that controls the bed lifting up and lowering down.
 Ben had me be in charge of getting the truck bed....all the way up.  Relatively speaking, it's not that big of a truck....but from my perspective it sure seemed enormous. And heavy.  And dangerous. 
 Eventually, we got the air seeder loaded and then I took Levi to Debbie's house because I had a day of work ahead of me.
 I spent the day swiping primer onto the wash house.  Ben helped out for the morning before he went out to the field.  Simply getting primer on it made a huge difference.  Although a couple coats of paint will really help, too.
The story of the day, though, was about Noah. In the morning he declared he wasn't hungry and didn't want breakfast.  Then around 10am we got a call from school that he had a headache and maybe a low-grade fever.  I went to town with some allergy medicine and a granola bar and after getting some food, water and medicine in him Noah seemed to be doing very well.  After lunch we got another call from the school.  My gut said he wasn't sick, he was just faking it.  But, I went anyway and as I walked into the school I ran into his teacher and she told me about her concerns about the reality of Noah's condition.  I talked to Noah for a while and explained that he wouldn't be allowed to watch TV, play on the computer or play station if he went home.  He maintained that he felt terrible and wanted to go home.  Fine. I took him home....and after being in bed for 15 minutes (maybe only 10) he declared he felt better.  Nice.  So I asked him to tell me the truth, even if he was embarrassed and he started to cry, "I'm sorry I lied. I just wanted to help you paint!"  I wasn't mad. I was actually filled with hope that maybe he was learning a life lesson.  I told him if he stayed home he would still have to stay inside with no TV, computer or play station.  But he could go back to school.  I promised him some painting time after he got home from school.  He chose to go back to school.  That evening he wrote an apology note to his teacher for lying to her about being sick.  Hopefully, that's the last time we have to deal with that.....for a while at least.  Between Levi and Noah, I made 5 trips to Goessel on Wednesday - that's almost 25 miles of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment