Monday, December 12, 2011

We Moved!

It sure is a lot of work to move from one house to another!  We managed to move a whopping 12 (or so) miles, from our house in Hesston out to my family's farm near Goessel.

Saturday was the big day.  I'd spent the past 2 weeks packing up boxes and moving them over to the farm house one carload at a time.  Anytime we were headed toward Goessel we'd drop off boxes just to help move things along.  I also took time to put our stuff away once a mountain of boxes had accumulated in the farm house.  Friday was our last day and night in Hesston.  Our entire kitchen was bare, our dressers were just skeletons since all the drawers were already at the farm, our basement was bare except for couches and the house was quiet because we had our cable, internet and phone turned off.

 So, when 8:30am rolled around on Saturday we hauled all of our furniture outside.
It all fit in the U-Haul and 2 pick-up trucks!
My mom took the boys to the farm for the morning so we could work without worrying about stepping on them.  Noah was genuinely mad that he didn't get to help us move and we felt bad about that.  We love a good helper, but it just wasn't safe to have them running around "helping".
After about 3 hours everything was loaded, and then we slowly drove the 12 (or so) miles out to the farm!  

This is the over 130 year old farm house we're currently living in!  My grandmother lived in this house just about her entire life.  Her grandfather, or my great-great grandfather built it around 1880.  Just last year my grandma moved from this house into Bethesda Home in Goessel.  
It's an honor to live in a house so rich in family history.  The memories are thick in this house.  I got all emotional at dinner on Saturday night when Ben, the boys and I sat down to eat.  I realized I had set the table in the exact same way my grandma did when I was little.  I was sitting where she always sat, Ben was where my grandpa sat, and the boys were in the spots my sister and I would have occupied.  It hit me as we sat there just how much has happened in that house - most of which I'm not even aware of.  It feels special to me and I feel honored to call this house home for a while.
We had a wonderful group of friends and family help us move on Saturday.  Different people from our Sunday School class helped us at different times of the day and before we knew it, beds were made and all the furniture was in place!  Some of the younger movers were helpful not only with putting stuff (books) away, but also at helping our own kids feel comfortable in their new space.
And Axle came out to the farm too on Saturday afternoon!  He's learning again what it is to be an outside dog and has shown us just how much he loves to fetch!  We've been slowly transitioning him to being an outside dog, so hopefully in the next week or so we can get that done.  Lucky for us, the farm house has a big mudroom that's closed off from the house that we can keep Axle in overnight.  So far, he's done great with the boys and seems to be getting along with most of the other farm animals.
We spent 4 years in Hesston and we'll miss our neighbors and some of the conveniences of town.  But, it certainly does feel good to be in the country again and only driving 5 minutes to get to church on Sunday morning was great compared to the 15 minutes we were used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment