Thursday, December 15, 2011

Adjustments

Soon I'll take some photos to show you the inside of our new digs.  I haven't been home during daylight to take nice pictures yet, but I'm hoping to soon.  It's a charming house and it's especially cheerful when the sun is shining through the windows.
 We've had some adjustments to make in the past 5 days.  While this is a big house, we're only truly living on the main floor - with play space upstairs.  But, for the most part we've been in the living room, our 2 bedrooms and the kitchen.  I'll explain the layout when there are photos to go along with it.  It's cozy, and I mean that in a positive way.  When the boys are playing a game of basketball or football and yelling and running while I'm trying to cook it may not feel like the best situation, but for the most part it's been cozy in the best way possible.

We've had to adjust to having a dog.  Axle, we found out from taking him to the vet for shots, weighs 98 pounds!  He's been doing very well with all the adjustments he's trying to make and thankfully continues to be a very kind and obedient dog.  I've never had a dog, but have found it pretty fascinating to get to know Mr. Axle (the running joke is, "Hold your tongue and say it...." Just try it. :-)).

We've had to adjust to Noah getting on the school bus at 6:55am.  He LOVES it and has been ready early every day so far.  He just walks over to my parents house and visits with them until my dad is ready to go.  It's sweet to watch him walk out the door and across the dark yard, so confident and carefree.

We've lucked out and the dishwasher hasn't leaked!  There was some fear that since it hadn't been used in more than a year that the seals would be brittle and leak.  But, after two uses it seems to be doing well.  Also in the kitchen, we've had to adjust to a gas range and oven.  I'm still getting used to the oven, but otherwise that's been a fun adventure.

We're getting used to having dairy within a stone's throw from our house.  There sure is a lot of commotion outside early every morning.  The boys have slept past 6am once out of the five nights we've been here.  I'm hoping that catches up with them and they decide to sleep a bit longer soon.  In Hesston, it often felt like I was the only person up and at 'em at 5:30 in the morning (when I'd go exercise).  But, now when I get up there's a tractor driving by and cows being milked and feed being ground.  The whole yard outside our house is buzzing with activity, while inside it's quiet and we're all sleeping.

I've had to adjust to doing my morning exercising at my parent's house - in my old bedroom.  Their elliptical machine resides in my old bedroom, so each morning I trek across the yard (which is WAY better then driving anywhere) for my daily workout.  Having one machine to chose from instead of 15+ at the Hesston Wellness Center is a pretty big change.  I'm sure I'll get totally bored with this option before winter is over, but I'm very thankful to have an option like it so close.

I've enjoyed not having a working TV in our house.  That should change tomorrow when the satellite dish guy comes out and hooks everything up.  We went several days with no TV and no internet.  That was OK with me too, there's something refreshing about not having those things available for a while.

We've had to adjust to the mud and muck of 2 days of light rain on the yard and roads.  I even bought myself a pair of mud boots - now I can go anywhere the boys can go around here when it's wet.

We've had to adjust to being CLOSER to daycare, church, and Ben's work and farther away from my work.  I certainly didn't get to work this week at the same time I got to work last week.  I'll make some adjustments for next week.

There are about 1,000 other adjustments we've had to make too, but many of them are the realities of moving.  It takes mental energy to remember where your clothes are, where the drinking glasses are, where....well, everything is.  But, Ben and I were just saying tonight how we feel content and at ease out here on the farm.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you guys! Can't wait to see more pictures and hope we can see it in person sometime as well!

    ReplyDelete