Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Auction

This past Saturday was my grandparents auction in Goessel. My mom and aunt worked their tails off to get ready for the auction and when Saturday morning rolled around, the skies were dark and stormy. Thankfully, the rain stayed away and the sky cleared and the weather was perfect, if not a little too warm. There was a good crowd for the auction and it was a day full of mixed emotions. On one hand, it was nice to know that the auction would soon be over - this event that we all had known would have to happen was finally nearly complete. On the other hand, it felt like the end of my grandparents. When the house was still full of their furniture and stuff - the place where so many wonderful childhood memories were made, generous and delicious family meals were eaten, tears shed in laughter and sorrow and many lessons learned - it felt like they were still there. But, on Saturday, with all the contents of the house spread around the yard and on trailers, it was sad for me and hard to say good-bye.



I snapped the picture above on my drive to Goessel Saturday morning. The quality is poor, but hopefully you can see the wonderful contrast between the wheat that is just turning yellow and the dark blue stormy sky.



Trailer after trailer and box after box of all sorts of treasures.





Grandma hasn't been in her yard this spring to tend to the flowers, and yet the rose bush at the end of the driveway was full of beautiful flowers.



Levi hanging out in the shade.



My cousin Megan and Levi on the front porch.

1 comment:

  1. Tina - thanks for sharing your feelings about the auction and everything else. Very thoughtful and meaningful. I'll forward my auction pictures soon. Thanks again - ps

    ReplyDelete