Friday, August 2, 2013

Our own flour

We have a lot of wheat on hand at the farm. And after some convincing, I got Ben to buy the grain mill attachment for our KitchenAid mixer. Woo hoo!  
During wheat harvest, he made sure to get a five gallon bucket of wheat for me. Then we cleaned it, with a little help from a big fan.


The wheat isn't 100% clean, but since we put a little in the mill at a time it's easy to find anything that we don't want in our flour.  Here's our first batch of wheat in the mill! I wasn't kidding about being excited, this was better than Christmas morning for me.


It makes lovely whole wheat flour. We've used it several times for baking with mixed success. The first bread I tried called for all whole wheat flour so I followed the recipe and ended up with a brick. Tasted good, but was too dense to enjoy.  I used it when making zucchini bread last weekend and when done with some AP flour it worked really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment