Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Last Friday of Summer

This past Friday was our last together before school starts and I wanted to do something fun and different. I had heard about an amazing waterfall near the Chase County Fishing Lake so we decided to go find it. Noah's buddy Klay was with us for the day, too - making it extra fun. Although, in reality, Noah and Levi fought nearly the entire car ride to and from the lake - poor Klay just sat there and shook his head. 
You park at the dam and then walk across it to find the waterfall. It was a beautiful day. It had rained about an inch the night before so we knew the waterfall would be great.
This creek (whatever it's supposed to be called) comes out of the lake. 
See, the lake part is behind Ben and the boys....you can't really tell but it is, promise.
And then it goes on for a little while. The water was moving at a pretty good clip, I wasn't worried about it taking one of the boys, but Levi did purposefully float down stream a little bit.

So back up to the grassy path....we followed it around and down until...
we came to a landing where we could see this:
The water was MOVING fast and I started to feel nervous about these little boys being in it. But they were hungry so we stopped to eat our simple picnic lunch.
After lunch we ventured into that water, found some rocks to stand on and could finally see what we'd been hearing:
I don't know why I thought boots were a good idea, but all three boys quickly had water-filled boots. Oh well.
We kept a hand on Levi and the bigger boys were careful to stay where they felt safe. I was nervous the whole time. That water was powerful.


It was great. Definitely not something we see in Kansas on a regular basis. It was quiet and felt like a tucked away little treasure. Plus, I didn't drop my phone or my camera or my lens cap in the water! We want to go back some time when the waterfall might be less powerful so we can get closer and do more playing in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment