Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Day of School

Summer has officially ended and the new school year is here! The boys were both very excited for school to start and had no trouble waking up this morning bright and early at 6:15. Did you know Cheerios and Cornflakes taste way better at grandma and grandpa's house? They do. The boys regularly eat breakfast over at my parents' house. I followed along today because I was waiting for it to get light enough outside to take pictures!
 Finally, they finished their Cheerios and Cornflakes, grabbed their backpacks and out we went. I usually have Noah hold out fingers to show which grade he's in. The "K" for kindergarten had them stumped and here they're working on different ways to make a "K" with their fingers.
 Eventually we decided not to do the finger thing and I had them smile. These boys can be such goofballs sometimes.
 Levi was ready for kindergarten. We had visited his classroom about a week ago just to make sure he remembered where he was going. Lucky for us his teacher already had his name tag out on his desk and the room looked so inviting.
 It also helps that he is the youngest and has seen and heard a lot about school from Noah. I also take great comfort in the fact that my mom teaches in the classroom right next to the kindergarten room and my dad drives their school bus. How much better could it get?
Noah was really looking forward to second grade. His teacher was also my second grade teacher - and I loved having her as my teacher! I hope he does too.
 Levi reported that he had a good day. His favorite part was PE and they played Mud Tag. Nearly every question I asked he responded with the word "good". He's already looking forward to recess tomorrow. :-)
 Noah had a good first day. He gets to ride the bus home this year (an hour long ride) so that's different for him. He said school was good, that it was good to be with his friends again and that his class was quieter this year. Ha! Maybe they did some growing up over the summer. :-) He even read a book on the bus ride home! Who is this kid? I couldn't get him to read all summer!!
The school year brings early mornings and early bedtimes to our family. But it also brings structure and expectations and lots of good interactions with adults and kids for the boys. We're excited to see what this year brings and how we see our kids grow and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment