Monday, September 16, 2013

Baking Bread

We've been grinding our own flour for a couple months now and after trying a few bread recipes out - and not liking the results - I decided it was time to seek expert advice. Ben's grandparents Lee and Mary Alice have been getting wheat from us for years, so I knew Mary Alice would know just the recipe and technique to make amazing whole wheat bread. Turns out I was right!
 I went over to their house on Friday morning for my baking lesson.
 It turns out that Mary Alice's recipe is adapted from the "More With Less" cookbook and it seemed quite simple.
 She  mixed up the dough, let it rise for about 20 minutes then turned it out onto a floured surface.
 She divided the dough into two equal parts, shaped it into loaves,
 and placed them in the pans. The loaves rose for about 20 or 30 minutes and then baked.
 While the bread was in the oven we went outside to see what Lee was up to.
 Their garden is always an inspiration. Lee had extra lettuce plants that he sent home with me. I came home, turned over some dirt and had an instant lettuce patch. He also sent those carrots home with me.
 Mary Alice has many beautiful flowers growing, these fuzzy ones, kept grabbing my attention.
 And then just like that, the bread was done!
 It's lovely, healthy and easy. We enjoyed one loaf already and will soon take the other loaf out of the freezer to enjoy.
Now the test will be if I remember how to make it, if we like my version and if I can make bread making a weekly routine during winter. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment