Friday, May 31, 2013

After rain

It rained! A nice, thirst quenching rain, no hail or super-strong winds (thank you God!). The wheat is happy, the corn is happy, the farmers are happy and the children are happy.
The boys put their water shoes on and we walked through the corn field next to the yard to find the pipe that drains water from my parents' sump pumps. We've been checking it each time it rains to see if there's water. Last spring was the last time any water came out of the pipe, but it's a signal to the boys and I of how high (or low) the water table is. Water was coming out of the pipe, so the water table must be coming back up!
 So far, Levi can jump over the corn...I wonder if he'll be able to in a week?
 Off to the "poop pit". Technically is was a manure pit for the cows back when we had cows. But in our house it might be forever known as the poop pit. Anyway, now it doesn't have poop but it does fill with water when it rains.
Levi's cautiously checking out the water.
 If you squint and use your imagination it could feel like our very own zero-entry swimming pool....right?  No?  Ya, no....never mind.
 Coolest looking nearly dead weeds I've seen in a long time.


 As is usually the case, I was the only one freaked out by mother nature. I jumped when a cotton tail bunny ran away from us, mistakenly identified a lump of mud as a toad and jumped again when an actual toad jumped into the water in front of me. Sigh.
 These two had a blast in the water!

 And then as we walked back to the house, I noticed the mulberries are popping out all over our mulberry trees! I'm guessing the chickens will gobble up all they can find once the mulberries start falling to the ground.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete