Monday, March 12, 2012

State basketball

State basketball tournaments just wrapped up in Kansas.  Ben reffed his first state tournament games this year so we went to watch!
It's no small task getting games in a state tournament.  It's not just luck that Ben got post-season games, the coaches recommend officials for it.  The same is true for officials and basketball teams - the longer the season lasts, the more intense the games become.  Ben reffed a 3A Substate tournament in Sedgwick the week before and then had two nights at the 3A State tournament in Hutch.
The boys claim to love watching Ben ref basketball.  I'm not so sure that's the case.  I think they just like going to games, seeing the action and eating Skittles.  I like to watch Ben ref.  It's fascinating to see him work and interact with players and coaches.
It also helps me to reflect on how he and I are different.  I wouldn't have the courage to blow the whistle during a game, let alone withstand the complaining and insults from the crowd and coaches.  But he handles all of that so well.  He's not afraid to tell a coach he messed up on a call, but he's also confident enough to tell the coach that he'll get it right the next time.
And with that, another season ends.  Thankfully, for the boys and I, this season seemed to go by very quickly.  Perhaps that's a sign that the boys are getting older....?  Yes, I think so because I'm certainly not getting better at parenting them on my own for nights on end.  I couldn't be happier for the end of basketball season and the beginning of spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment