Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Failed

That's a jar of homemade dishwasher soap.  I was tired of buying expensive eco-friendly dishwasher soap.  And, I wasn't convinced of how eco-friendly it really was.  So, when I saw a recipe for soap that needed few ingredients I was excited to try it.
2 c. washing soda
2 c. borax
6 Tbsp. citric acid powder
25 drops grapefruit essential oils

Easy enough - between a local eco-friendly store and Dillons, I was able to buy what I needed.  The stuff smells AMAZING - it just leaves behind a film unlike anything I've ever experienced.
Ok, to tell you the truth I haven't ever had dishes come out of a dishwasher with a film.  I find this new development very troubling.  I have reduced the amount of soap I used from 2 Tbsp. per load, to 1 1/2 Tbsp. per load all the way down to 1 Tbsp.  But, the film is still there and the cleanliness of the dishes is coming more and more into question.
I was so hopeful that this new soap would be a fun, eco-friendly way to start cleaning in new ways this year.  But, I'm at the point where I have to admit, it failed.
Anyone have ideas for what I should do with this jar of soap now?

3 comments:

  1. Janet reported it didn't work for her either. Bummer. Can you use it for laundry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a batch once, it didn't work either. So I used it for a scouring powder instead and it worked great. Have you tried vinegar in the "jet dry" thing? Sometimes that will work, but with hard water it may just leave a film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe add a little of it to your laundry? I saw all these eco friendly recipes too and darn it that they don't work! I was thinking of trying the laundry soap version. They claim that a lady made it and it lasted from July-March..but 2 Tbs. per load, really? Good luck finding a spot to use this!

    ReplyDelete