Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Beautiful Outdoors

In general, the Kansas landscape in winter has little to offer in the looks department.  But, when the highs are in the 50's or 60's in December everything suddenly seems much more beautiful.  Maybe it's the pure joy of being able to spend a lot of time outside, knowing that if the weather pattern was ever-so-slightly different that we could have highs in the teens with a howling north wind.  
 At one point or another, our whole family went out "exploring" last week.  I helped Noah discover that there are several creeks that snake through the pasture here at the farm.  He was proud to show Ben a couple days later.  My over-active imagination was thankful for Axle's presence.  That dog is quickly becoming a safety blanket of sorts for me.
 It was balmy outside for December, but I was still surprised when Axle took more than one dip in that frigid water!  It's hard to tell in the photo below, but there are 2 beaver dams built in the creek.
With hindsight I can say, it was good to play a game of 2-person football with Noah 5 out of 7 afternoons last week.  I can't say I was excited to play football with Noah, I usually wanted to be doing something else.  But, he loves to play football.  He won every game because he put all his energy into it, and somehow didn't mind that I didn't.  No matter how bad my attitude is to start the game, I always get into it and we always have a good laugh or two together.  
 And, thanks to clear skies and lots of sunshine, we've been blessed with one colorful sunset after another.  I honestly believe the small things in life, the colors of the sunrise and the sunset, the construction of beaver dams and the "discovery" of creeks are worth taking time to enjoy and be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment