Thursday, August 25, 2016

Last days of summer

Before school got going, my friend Joni and I took our 5 boys to a trampoline park in Wichita for the afternoon. The two youngest, Levi and Kreed, had fun jumping into the foam pit. 
The older boys played dodge ball just about the entire time!
That's 2 1/2 hours of dodge ball! Noah was actually sore the next day from all the bouncing and throwing. There was some fierce competition going on in the dodge ball area, it was fun to watch their competitive spirits come out.
Cousin Rylee was at the farm for the weekend before school!

My gigantic tomato plants that refuse to produce many tomatoes finally gave me enough to make half a batch of tomato sauce.
My beautiful mom and sister sang together in church, it was lovely!!
And then we ate these crazy good nachos for supper...well, some people had pancakes, but some of us had nachos. Weird meal - but oh so good!
A little margarita on the deck with the twinkle lights was a great end to the weekend of fun.
Sometimes we spend time in the evening just sitting and visiting with my parents on their deck. If that's the case, then surely Wilbur will be there too!
The garden and yard are taking less time these days, so I have time to go on an evening walk when the weather cooperates. The corn is slowly drying down for harvest!
The sunsets lately have been pretty amazing, especially with the smells of late summer floating in the air. Sometimes it feels magical.
I've grown quite a few cantelope in the garden. Most of them have been "ehhhh," but one of them was really good! I think I should skip cantelope next year.
The marigolds I planted from seeds are likely the most successful plants in my garden this year.
The zinnias are beautiful, but Levi and I didn't do the best job planting the seeds so they're a little sparse.
Technically, school had already started, but with only 2 days under their belts it was easy to feel like it was still summer this past weekend. It rained the night before and we thought it would be fun to take the boys down to the creek behind Bethel. Turns out there was a lot of water rushing in the creek and it was completely unsafe for the boys.
Wilbur even got to come along!
The boys were disappointed with the creek and while the mud was fun, it was also very challenging to not fall and get covered in it.
Finally they made it back up the muddy bank and squished the mud out from between all their little toes.
We walked on and then came to another much smaller creek crossing and it was just right for our boys! We hung out there for a long time and it was lots of fun to be together.
Sunday, Ben and I went with a bunch of friends to the Royals game. My dad took Noah too, but Levi didn't want to go, so he stayed home with grandma.
We sat out in left field and had a great time!
Summer brings so many opportunities for fun and while late August and September are usually still plenty warm, it just feels different with school being in session. I'm thankful we got to do these few fun things just before school got started!

No comments:

Post a Comment