Saturday, June 27, 2015

Out in the garden

The garden has kept us quite busy lately. A bigger space means more to care for - but both Ben and I enjoy working in the garden. Growing food and flowers is a fun challenge.

Potato and onion harvest is complete! 
 Slowly, all of our new perennials are starting to bloom. :-)
 Lucky for us, the garden is in the shade in the morning, so even on the hottest Saturdays we can work in the cool shade.
 Our sunflowers around the edge of the garden are growing, volunteer pumpkins/squash are thriving and soon they'll run into the watermelon vines...I'm hoping they'll all find ways to get along.
 The zinnias I planted in one corner are slowly starting to bloom - I love the fun color they add to the garden. :-)
 Ben and I picked green beans for the first time this morning. I'm afraid that only planting two rows of beans will have been a mistake...but we can always plant more later this summer. And our sweet potatoes are looking good.
 This is our first year growing corn...it didn't come up that great, but what's there looks good.
 It's kind of a crazy plant.

 The giant sunflowers are grow, grow, growing up.
 Pumpkin flowers are my favorite.

 The okra had a rough start - but thankfully our second planting are thriving.
 Tomatoes.
 I'm trying to grow an herb garden, I have a lot to learn - including which herbs are which...but surprisingly everything I planted out there is still growing.
Now that we got the entire garden mulched with straw, I'm hoping that the weed battle will subside. Now to be creative and use all the goodness that this garden produces (or at least most of it!). :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment