Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Corn Harvest

We started to pick corn last week and since there's usually a lull in farm activity just before corn harvest, it's always very exciting to see all the equipment (and farmers) working hard. 
 My job as shuttle driver/coordinator for the young farmers can be challenging, but all the tomatoes my plants have produced have proven to be way more work. Although I love to can and enjoy the challenge of putting these fruits to good use so I'm not complaining. In fact, I've felt quite successful this year because I've actually managed to grow tons of tomatoes for the first time (hey, 1 garden year out of 3 isn't bad!).
 One evening while Noah was out "helping" with harvest, Levi and I hung out at the farm.
 We made our way over to a new dirt pile (that will be used for our septic system) at the new house.
 There's a funny thing about little boys and dirt piles, pretty soon clods of dirt start being thrown around!
 And boy oh boy was it funny when he hit me square in the forehead!
 Then he was trying to hit me while I took his picture...he aimed...
 kept his eye on the target...
 and then chucked it at me!
 He hit me, but not in the face (thank goodness) and he thought it was funny. What a ornery turkey!
 Finally all the farmers showed up again!
 Pictures never capture how bright the lights on the combine are. They are crazy bright.
 And with one final check of the truck, we could finally say goodnight to harvesting that night.
The next day harvest got rained out and since then we've had a bunch more rain so corn harvest is on hold for a couple more days while the fields dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment