Sunday, April 15, 2012

Laundry detergent

 It looks like shredded cheddar, doesn't it?  It doesn't smell like it and it certainly doesn't taste like it.  Although that could be a fun prank....
 I whipped up my first batch of homemade laundry detergent.  I posted about my mother in-law's soap mix way back in November.  But, since we had a huge jug of liquid detergent on hand it took us until now to need more soap! It's very simple and cheap - grate 1 bar Fels -Naptha and mix it with 1 c. Borax and 1 c. Washing Soda (all found in the laundry detergent aisle).  I've used 1 Tbsp. of the mix per load in my HE washer and the results have been great!
It feels good to have a better understanding of what's in our detergent, to pay so little for the ingredients and to use to little for each load.  So far, so good!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! The triple batch I had made in October finally ran out, so I made more last week. It lasts and lasts, at a tablespoon a load. I too like the results. And cheap? For sure!!

    ReplyDelete