Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sun, Wind, Corn

And lettuce! I have two pots like this on my deck. I hope they grow, I don't have a garden space and I love fresh lettuce. We'll see. My friend Shari brought 3 different varieties to church a while ago and I just now got them in some soil. I hope they like their new home.
Now, back to the subject of this post...we've spent 2 days at the farm and they were both full of sun, wind and corn. My dad is at the beginning of planting corn which opened the doors (literally) for tractor rides on the field. Unfortunately, that also meant it was nearly impossible to get Noah to take a nap.
Dad taught Ben how to plant corn today. I'm completely intimidated by the tractors and complicated equipment and Ben is not. Or, if he is he doesn't show it. Dad showed him the ropes and then left him alone on the field for quite a while. I was impressed.
On Friday, when dad had just gotten started and was having a few technical troubles, he and Noah stopped so they could make sure seed was actually going into the ground. It's not easy to find a little kernel of seed corn, good thing Grandpa had help.
A row of newly planted corn...doesn't look like much so far, but hopes are high for it to look tall and green in a couple of months.
Complicating the Noah-refusing-to-take-a-nap situation are the cows and their milking schedule. The guys that milk show up around 3-ish and as soon as they show up, Noah's out there with them. Noah used to be scared to pieces to be near the cows, but in the past month or two he's shed his fear. Now he can't get close enough - we had to talk to him today about keeping a safe distance! He loves to ride along on the skid steer to clear the free stall barn and today he raked the sand in the stalls. Unfortunately, he was "done" raking when I got out there with my camera.
And it's not uncommon for him to spend the entire 2-3 hours of milking out in the barn. Just standing there watching...I think that's what he does....I don't stand out there with him...so I guess I can't really say....it's a stinky place and I prefer to not be stinky.
So, after an early morning, no nap and a long day out in the sun and wind - this guy was tired tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment