Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm stumped, what do you think?

Here's the deal - I'm completely stumped about an idea I've been brainstorming for our living room wall. I realize there are about 5 people who read this blog, but if each of you could weigh in about what you think, it would certainly help me figure out if I've lost my marbles or stumbled upon an idea that just might work.

Here's the wall. The blue tape is marking out my idea.
I have 12 of these.
Each of them used to be part of a porch railing. I bought them and painted them white. When I bought them, I knew I could use them on a wall somewhere in our house. I didn't know where but recently I've become fixated on using them in our living room. However, Ben's not sure and I'm wavering too.

So, each blue line indicates where a white piece would go.
So, what do you think? Crazy? Good idea? Too much? Go for it? Different pattern? Please share and be honest.

7 comments:

  1. Hmm. I don't know! I think it could look really cool - the parts where you taped off are spaced out well and it would add some visual interest and texture to the wall. It's definitely a creative idea. You could just leave them up for a few days while you decide if you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. This might look pretty good. I really like the shape of the white pieces and I think they'll be a good contrast with the wall and the couch.

    Have you considered angling them just a little so that they'd be perpendicular to the ceiling, instead of the floor? Or maybe not quite? This might add some more flow and interest to the repetitive shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued, but unsure. Is there a "temporary" way to put them up there, and take another photo? Tell Ben his mom said to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about white. What about picking up some of the color in the picture. That red is catching my eye, but it might be too much, maybe use many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the comments so far! You've got me thinking that's for sure. I just might try to stick them up there and test this out.
    @Jim, angles are an idea that I will think about.
    @Sue - Ben can't stand holes in the walls...this tape is almost too much for him.
    @Karen - I agree, the white could be part of the problem. There is a large white bookcase on the other side of the room that they would tie in with. I've toyed with painting all or some of them different colors.
    Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina-

    My input would be to make a faux frame (rectangular) out the pieces, center it above the couch and then do a wallpaper inside the frame that contrasts the flower painting (but plain so that the flower painting is the focal interest). Then center the painting inside the frame. Does that make any since? I wish I could sketch it for you :) Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Put them up for alittle while. See what you think. You can always put a little plaster or toothpaste over the holes and repaint, if you decide you don't like them.

    Personally, I'm not so sure about how it would look.

    ReplyDelete