Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Out in the Garden

We must like trying new things, because it often feels like gardening is one big experiment. Try this, now try that. It's fun!
I'm not a big fan of vegetables, I'm trying to do better, but they just don't taste good to me. But as part of my efforts, I planted two broccoli plants and two cabbage plants this year! Yay for roughage! 
 The larger experiment this year in the garden were cover crops. Our garden was bright green and full of life all winter. Then when we were ready to plant potatoes, we killed off that section of cover crops. You can see it in the background in the photo below.
 Here are the rows we planted our potatoes into.
 It took me a long while to get used to planting in this nearly-no-till situation. But it's working! Now the potatoes are up and growing and the remaining carpet of dead cover crops should serve as mulch/weed suppression.
 The alive cover crops:
 The dead:
 And after working in the garden one day, I started back toward the house and realized that just a year ago we had nothing but dirt surrounding our house. And this spring, we're enjoying watching our trees bud, our shrubs and perennials come back and bloom and grass green up.
 I planted spinach, lettuce and onions in these pots for easy access to salad greens, they're just steps from my kitchen. The bonus is that this photo is a couple weeks old and now the greens are big enough to harvest!
More garden updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment