Monday, September 7, 2015

Happenings...

I think the zinnias are the overall garden winner this year.  
 The rest of the garden is looking spent. Although the sweet potatoes and okra are going strong. I finally have a couple more green peppers growing - that might bring the grand summer total up to ten! Maybe. My tomatoes keep producing, but the fruit looks weird and unappetizing.
 Mr. Wilbur continues to grow. He's doubled his weight since we got him and he's half way to his full-grown weight. Earlier this week he weighed 27 pounds at the vet.

Levi struggled with an ear causing him pain so we tried ear candling for some relief.
 We had taken him to the doctor weeks earlier thinking he had an ear infection, but it was simply a build up of fluid due to allergies and the doctor couldn't do anything to help him out.
 We decided that surely Noah could benefit from it too, so one night we had a candling party.
 Noah actually found it quite boring,
 but once he could watch the Royals AND candle his ear he was in much better spirits.
 Warning: this part is kind of nasty. So you burn the candle down to the red line, then put it out and then you can unroll the candle (which is actually a coated fabric/paper). All that brown and chunky yellow stuff came out of my children's ears! Ben helped me candle my ears a couple nights later and I have to say, it was a nice experience and my ears felt really good afterward.
 Wilbur l.o.v.e.s. that blanket. We call it his girlfriend and so far his attachment continues.
 I tried out a one-hour cinnamon roll recipe and was pleasantly surprised at how they turned out. My ability to roll out dough to the proper thickness wasn't so great, but otherwise they were really good.
 It doesn't seem like it would be challenging to keep up with a garden that is only producing okra and tomatoes and a few herbs but that seems to be more than I can handle these days. I was going to cut some more parsley the other day but when I got there this is what I found!
 Oh well. Just today I canned the last tomatoes I'll can this year. My plants are still producing, but I think I'm done. Seven pints of diced tomatoes is what I did today and I feel satisfied with that.
Wilbur might look cute in this picture, but he's hiding a dead mouse under this mouth. Gross. And that's just one of many MANY reason why that dog doesn't get to "kiss" me. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment