Monday, May 23, 2011

Burkholder Farm

Saturday evening we had a BBQ at our friends' farm. Brian and Rachael and their three kids showed the boys how to pet and ride Midnight the horse. We checked for eggs from their chickens, walked among their cattle and enjoyed exploring along the creek. Plus, we ate delicious food including steak and pork chops (from animals they raised). I love that - making the distance shorter between the food source and the plate. I'd like to find ways to make that happen more often.


This tree is amazing. Toppled over with the roots splayed out for the whole world to see. It's amazing to see what's usually hidden under ground.
It was a beautiful evening - I'm not sure I can imagine better weather for an evening then what we had on Saturday.
I took these photos of the boys riding Midnight with Kara from up on a hill. My angle is poor, but I had to capture their expressions.



After the sun went down Ben and Brian burned an enormous brush pile. As we stood around watching the flames grow higher and higher it was a wonderful reminder of the power of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment