Sunday, August 22, 2010

Our first harvest

of corn! Yes, it's true. On Thursday night, for the first time in my life I got to witness corn harvest - or picking - from inside a combine. My dad has usually just chopped corn for silage, but this year with many fewer acres of wheat in the ground, he planted a lot of corn. The acres of corn have already been chopped that will feed the cows silage for the next year. Now it's time to pick the rest!

Thursday night, dad started harvesting and so the boys and I went to check out what was going on. To our delight, we got to ride along for a while and then we stopped by the farm before heading home for the night.
Noah often tries to steer the combine himself...but with GPS directed steering dad tries to keep Noah's hands off.

There sure are a lot more buttons and gadgets in the cab then when I was little!
Back at the farm, Noah got his first chance to climb on a hay rack full of bales.
It was a beautiful evening.

We even found some loose hay to play in - fun, but plenty messy.
They love to pretend to drive the 4-wheeler.
***News flash*** I learned how to drive the 4-wheeler this weekend. I brought the boys home from the field on Friday - a nearly 4 mile trip - on my first try! It felt liberating.
I'm sure this is one of several harvest posts. Corn harvest is prettier than wheat harvest because the corn is so golden in color. The contrasting colors make it hard for me to stop taking pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment