Monday, June 29, 2009

Another harvest complete

Each wheat harvest, I get an adrenaline rush when I see the combines out in the fields. I have a seemingly endless patience for grain trucks on the roads. I see the beauty in the farming cycle and I feel the stress of time ticking away, sunlight fading, rain clouds looming. I also feel the weariness from long days, children staying up too late at the farm and waking up at sunrise the next morning.

My dad, uncle, cousin and husband are the main players in harvest for our farm. Although, there is a supporting cast of many that actually enable everything to get done during the week or so that is "harvest". They all work very hard, longer hours than usual, and by the end, you can see the wear in their eyes.

The 2009 wheat harvest has wrapped-up for us, but Noah is still going strong at home. He harvests wheat, then milo, then corn and busily narrates who is driving which piece of equipment the entire time he plays in our living room.

This year, Noah's attention span is much longer then in previous years which enabled him to spend more time on the combine and truck. Poor little Levi, though, didn't always understand why Noah got to ride off in the big truck while he had to stay at the farm. But, Levi had his turns on the combine and truck too - he just doesn't last very long on either before he gets too squirmy.

Here are photos from one evening of harvest:

After seeing wheat harvests for 28 years you'd think I wouldn't be so amazed by the wheat dumping into the auger, but I could watch it for a long time. So many little grains - boggles my mind.




Unloading wheat at the farm. This tractor, the 4030 (right, dad?), is a part of many of my fondest memories from growing up on the farm. I think it's the oldest functioning tractor on the farm and it has many worn out spots, but it has a special place in my heart.




Noah with my cousin Austin. Austin drives the tractor that pulls the grain cart during harvest. His brother Kyle did this before him and maybe Braden will be next?? This has earned Austin a special place in Noah's world. The tractor that Noah uses to pull his toy grain cart is "Austin's tractor" never just a "tractor".




Tall wheat stubble + short Levi = Lots of falling down


On the combine with mom and Grandpa.








Check out the "strippers" on that stripper header - looks dangerous to me.


My friend Tonya, her husband Mark and their kids Cole and Izzy came out for a combine ride. It was great to share the evening with them!


My dad and uncle purchased a new truck for the farm this year, it seems so big compared to the truck Ben drives during harvest.






Levi and Izzy became fast friends


The relationship progressed very quickly...




My favorite part-time farmer.




A beautiful sunset to finish out a wonderful evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment